May 5, 2020 (BRISTOL, R.I.) – The United States Olympic & Paralympic Committee (USOPC) released Guiding Principles for Tokyo Olympic and Paralympic Selection Procedures, on Tuesday, May 5, 2020. The document states, “Where athletes, or a team, have been nominated to the USOPC, in full or in part, the selection procedure shall not be amended in such a way that removes those already nominated athletes.”
In accordance with the above guidance, US Sailing confirms the nomination of the eight athletes below. As of February 29, 2020, each earned selection to the 2020 U.S. Olympic Sailing Team, per US Sailing’s Selection Procedures.
- Riley Gibbs (Long Beach, Calif.) & Anna Weis (Fort Lauderdale, Fla.), Mixed Nacra 17
- Stephanie Roble (East Troy, Wisc.) & Maggie Shea (Wilmette, Ill.), Women’s 49erFX
- Charlie Buckingham (Newport Beach, Calif.), Men’s Laser
- Paige Railey (Clearwater, Fla.), Women’s Laser Radial
- Farrah Hall (Annapolis, Md.), Women’s RS:X
- Pedro Pascual (West Palm Beach, Fla.), Men’s RS:X
The Trials are still in progress for the Men’s 470, Women’s 470, and Finn classes. US Sailing will nominate the five remaining athletes upon the conclusion of each class’ Trials.
All nominations to the 2020 U.S. Olympic Team are pending approval of the USOPC.